~ The Old Pink House ~
A National Landmark, Savannah’s stately Georgian Mansion facing Reynolds Square has an exciting history. Built on land granted by the crown of England, James Habersham Jr. Lived in his mansion from 1771 to 1800. This wealthy planter’s home held many secret meetings which helped to secure the independence of the 13 colonies from England.
Vaults of money ~ a new sound to echo in the halls of Habersham House. In 1811 the Pink House became the Planter’s Bank, the first bank in Georgia, and housed the monies of all the colonists. Still in operation today the massive cast-iron vaults with dungeon like doors are used as wine cellars. The front portico, vaults and a conference room were added during the Planter’s Banks’ tenure.
Alarming sounds of guns and cannons led Sherman’s march to the sea. The halls of the Habersham house opened to military Generals after Sherman presented the city of Savannah as a Christmas gift to President Lincoln. General York setup headquarters in the Olde Pink Mansion and the rooms once again made history.
Neglected, the house changed hands many times after the War between the States ~ attorney’s office, bookstore, colonial tea room ~ suffering decay and neglect, but always impressive standing alone with whispers of the past hidden in her crumbling walls.
News in 1992 ~ The Sound of Restoration in Savannah ~ The William Balish Family ~ native Charlestonians ~ purchased the Habersham House and all its ghosts and began a major project to remove the decaying walls, restore the sagging building, research its past and reconstruct it to its original grandeur; thus, beginning another new era for this grand old house.
Again the ageless Halls of Habersham echo the pleasure of dining by candlelight as James Habersham, Jr. enjoyed in 1771. The ghosts of the past walk freely with you on your visit through the elegant rooms, vault wine cellars, up the fine staircases, or down for a drink by the massive Planters Tavern Fires.
Habersham House ~ history revisited
~ 17 Hundred 90 Inn ~
Following the American Revolution and independence from England, the first free election of a mayor, city council and the formation of a Savannah city government occurred in 1790.
Savannah was a small village with a few hundred frame buildings, sandy streets, horses and wagons, and a simple, yet prosperous life. Celebrating that heritage, the 17hundred90 Restaurant and Inn is one of Savannah’s oldest restaurants and Inns offering fine dining and comfortable lodging.
The restaurant and Inn are housed in what were originally three separate residences. The western part of the building was built as a duplex between 1821 and 1823 by Steel White; the smaller eastern section was built by the Powers family in 1888. The ground level with its slate floor and soft brick walls are thought to date from a previous structure possibly destroyed in the great Savannah fire of 1820. Original wood shingles are visible in the attic and wooden pegs and wedges holding beams in place can be found throughout the building.
The Inn also has 14 Comfortable rooms, each with king or queen sized bed, private bath, a growing collection of antiques and ghosts waiting to tuck you in at night.
The 3-story Guest House which is located across the street on York was built in 1875. A Norwegian shipbuilder who was living there in the 1890’s is believed to have hand-painted the parlor ceilings to help cover the cost of rent.
But the best part of 17hundred90 is the long tradition for fine dining and tasty drink. Fresh seafood, carefully prepared steaks, lamb and chicken and southern vegetables combine with fine wines and carefully mixed cocktails to make a delightful dining experience.